Click any label...
Enrich your life with the study of trees.
Charles Sprague Sargent (1841-1927)
25 Popular Posts
- A free tree field guide you can download
- Black cherry: A tree for wildlife
- Dugout Canoes
- Durable wood of the black locust tree
- Five tall narrow trees
- Five tall, narrow deciduous trees
- Hawthorne trees and wildlife
- How to collect and plant acorns
- How to grow a black walnut tree from seed
- How to identify common tree leaves
- I want a persimmon tree!
- Identifying pines
- Narrow trees for small spaces
- Sassafras: The root beer tree
- Some native "weeping" trees
- Sweetgum seedballs
- Ten native trees with red autumn leaves
- Ten tall-growing trees
- Three fast-growing trees with problems
- Top 14 invasive species in Kentucky
- Tree care after storm damage
- Trees that produce root suckers
- Trees that will grow near black walnut and buttercup
- Twelve native trees with shaggy bark
- White oak bark and leaves
Print references I frequently consult
Benvie, Sam. Encyclopedia of North American Trees. Buffalo, NY: Firefly, 2000.
Brockman, C. Frank. Trees of North America: A Guide to Field Identification. Ed. Herbert S. Zim. New York: Golden, 1986.
Cliburn, Jerry, and Ginny Clomps. A Key to Missouri Trees in Winter: An Identification Guide. Conservation Commission of the State of Missouri, 1980.
Collingwood, G. H., Warren David Brush, and Devereux Butcher. Knowing Your Trees. Washington: American Forestry Association, 1978.
Dirr, Michael. Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs: an Illustrated Encyclopedia. Portland, Or.: Timber, 1997.
Elias, Thomas S. The Complete Trees of North America; Field Guide and Natural History. New York: Book Division, Times Mirror Magazines, 1980.
Grimm, William Carey. The Book of Trees;. Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole, 1962.
Hightshoe, Gary L. Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines for Urban and Rural America: a Planting Design Manual for Environmental Designers. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1988.
Little, Elbert L. National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees. New York: Chanticleer, 1996.
Martin, Alexander C., Herbert S. Zim, and Arnold L. Nelson. American Wildlife and Plants. New York: McGraw Hill, 1951.
Mitchell, Alan F., and David More. The Trees of North America. New York, NY: Facts On File Publications, 1987.
Randall, Charles E. Enjoying Our Trees. Washington: American Forestry Association, 1969.
Settergren, Carl D., and R. E. McDermott. Trees of Missouri. Columbia: University Extension, 1995.
Sternberg, Guy, and James W. Wilson. Native Trees for North American Landscapes: from the Atlantic to the Rockies. Portland: Timber, 2004.
Wharton, Mary E., and Roger W. Barbour. Trees and Shrubs of Kentucky. Lexington: University of Kentucky, 1973.
Wyman, Donald. Trees for American Gardens. New York: Macmillan, 1965.